Had a few pieces of mulberry left from a day before cake so I searched for a new easy new recipe to do with them, after looking through some I mixed and matched three, result was a super yummy easy cake. Will be on my always to do cake for sure.
Cake was upside down almond caramel with mulberries and soaked with orange juice while still hot.
As I always try to do, used less sugar and butter than original recipes ( 6 tablespoons of butter for caramel is way too much) , result was really great.
Here’s my version of this cake:
Caramel almond layer:
* 1 cup brown sugar (or white with a tablespoon of molasses)
*1 tablespoon butter.
* Mix together over low heat till sugar dissolve then pour into the cake pan.
* Roasted cup of almonds, layer them over the caramel.
Now the cake layer:
* 1 cup sugar.
* 1 tablespoon butter.
*1/2 cup vegetable oil.
* 3 eggs.
* 1 tsp vanilla.
* 1/2 cup of yogurt.
*1/2 cup of ground almonds.
* 2 cups flour.
* 2 tsp baking powder.
* Pinch of salt.
* Beat sugar and butter well.
*Add oil till mixture is creamy.
* Add eggs, vanilla and yogurt.
* Add flour and baking powder.
*Pour cake batter over almond caramel layer.
* Bake in a medium heat oven for 30-35 minutes or till cake is dry in toothpick test.
* While still warm flip the cake onto serving dish.
*Add 1/2 cup of orange juice to remaining caramel stuck in the pan and mix well over low heat to get a syrup.
*Drizzle it over cake .
One of the best cakes I’ve ever done, it even doesn’t need any decorations and awesome with coffee or tea.