As always I like to try a new recipe,it’s becoming like a weekly challenge for me. Today’s trial was an interesting cookie one from the Persian cuisine.
Ingredients can give you a hint that it’s delicious, all nutty and aromatic but next time I’ll make them a bit smaller cause they spread well when baked.
Ingredients and method:
* 1 1/2 cups crushed walnuts.
* 3/4 cup sugar.
* 3 egg yolks.
* 1 tablespoon rose water.
* 1 tsp cardamom.
* 1 tsp vanilla.
* 1 tsp baking powder.
* pinch of salt.
* 1 extra egg yolk plus one tablespoon water.
* extra whole walnuts for garnish.
* Beat eggs, vanilla, cardamom, sugar well.
* add walnuts,rose water, baking powder and salt.
* dough will be sticky so use two spoons to scoop small amount on baking tray layered with wax paper.
* put a walnut on each cookie then brush with egg water mixture ( I think I’ll skip this next time maybe)
* bake in a medium heated oven (180 c) for 15-20 minutes only or till edges are brownish.
Note: cookies will be soft when hot but don’t worry they’ll harden later on.
Store in a closed jar later, they great with coffee or tea,rich in flavor and extremely delicious.
Two lovely friends came to visit this morning and since I woke up so early today I decided to bake some ka3ek.
A small simple breakfast with minted tea,I always feel good about myself when I bake breads don’t know why, guess it’s the smell maybe.
Dough ingredients :
* 6 and extra half cups flour.
* 2 tablespoons oil.
* 1 tablespoon instant yeast.
* 2 tablespoons sugar.
* 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water.
* 2 teaspoons salt.
* 1/2 cup milk.
* some sesame seeds.
* some semolina to sprinkle under the Ka3ek.
* Mix water,yeast and sugar and leave ten minutes till bubbles are formed.
* Mix flour,salt and oil then add yeast and water and knead well.
* leave in a warm place till it rises ( 1-2 hours)
* knead again then form it to loaf shape or place a metal ring inside to make a circle in the middle.
* Brush with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds in top.
* leave to rise again then bake in a well heated oven for 15 minutes.
this hot weather did a miracle in raising these buns.
Though we’re Mansaf-ing today but it’s not me cooking so I baked these bars this morning,good choice with coffee as a quick breakfast for my son before leaving to college everyday.
Recipe is very easy almost a simple cake but you bake it in a big wide pan then slice it when done and ready bake or toast bars till crunchy.
* 4 eggs.
* 1 cup sugar.
* 1/2 cup olive oil.
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil.
* 2 big spoons anise powder.
* 2 big spoons anise seeds.
* sesame seeds
* 2 tsp baking powder.
* 1 tsp vanilla.
* 2 cups flour.
* mix eggs, vanilla, sugar with electric mixer till fluffy. Add rest of ingredients.
* sprinkle bottom of pan with sesame seeds, add the cake mixture and bake in medium oven for 30 minutes or dry in center.
* when cooled cut to slices and roast again till golden from both sides.( مثل شكل القرشله)
* leave to cool completely then keep in well closed jar or tin.
It’s been such a long time since I did these, maybe in Eid Al-Adha meaning seven months now.
Date Rolls are such a favorable kind of cookies, they have a nice aroma, taste and texture that everyone love, made a small batch for my dear sis to take with her back home next week and hopefully I’ll have time to make her some rock cookies also.
I also did this beautiful cake today but didn’t want to mix both chicken and cake in the same post, better to keep sweet lovely things together.
Got the recipe from a new cookbook my cousin gave to me the other day,it’s really informative and today is my start up in discovering its contents.
A really easy simple cake, great with coffee or tea.
Ingredients and method :
* 1 package cream cheese.
* 1/2 cup butter.
* 1 cup sugar.
* 2 eggs.
* 1/4 cup milk.
* 1 tsp baking powder.
* 1/2 tsp baking soda.
* 1/2 tsp vanilla.
* 1 3/4 cups flour.
* 1/2 cup strawberry or raspberry jam.
* beat cream cheese and butter till soft then add up all other ingredients consequently except jam.
* batter should be a bit thick.
* grease and medium sized oven pan.leave then add batter.
* add jam in small spoonfuls on top then swirl gently with a knife to create a marble effect.
* bake in a medium heated oven for 30-40 minutes.
Remember the detox water I did few weeks ago? Well I’ve been doing it every day now and I really think and feel it’s very useful, gives more energy and freshness.
Yesterday my husband picked a big bunch of chamomile from the farm and I’ve been searching for a good healthy drink that has chamomile in it, search result was this refreshing detox tea, made from freshly grated ginger boiled a bit with hot water then you add some chamomile leaves and leave for few minutes. Pour into a glass with one teaspoon honey,slice of lemon and few fresh mint leaves.
I’m sure most of you know how calming and soothing chamomile is for the nervous and gastrointestinal systems plus it’s great effect on boosting metabolism and immunity. It’s a very good drink in cases of colds and flu and abdominal pains specially in babies
Pouring rain today,hope nobody got stuck in traffic or got soaked wet like me,it was sunny when I left home I swear ! anyway thank God for car’s heater , but roads were really awful and I just heard many people were hurt or stuck in floods ,wish you all be safe and warm .
A dear friend told me last week she do this appetizer with olives,since new ones are about to be ready I pitted all last year’s green olives mixed them with grated carrots,crushed walnuts,hot and sweet peppers,lemon slices and some chili then put all in glass jars and added olive oil to the rim. Great appetizer in cold wintry days like today.
Lunch today was chicken curry also a good choice in cold weather and my son insisted to do some Tacos for himself cause he doesn’t like curry a lot .
I also made Anise Cake to have with mint tea now .
As I mentioned yesterday we have a gathering this morning for a very special group of ladies that I really love so much, my mother in-law’s school mates,really sweet lovable group <3
Last night I made the apple pie and za’tar pastries,this morning I arranged a cheese platter with some fresh figs and grapes,decorated some pastries with labaneh,tomatoes and olives and made spinach tabouleh and my sister in-law made yalanji and got some Halouva .
Turned out a really elegant table,everybody enjoyed the food and company