Cold rainy day with expected snow this evening, since I have leftovers and only made lentil soup to go along with weather conditions I made this new healthy recipe.
Fig Newtons are traditional Italian cookies made from dried figs, they’re a very good source of fibers and nutrients specially during Winter times.
Ingredients and method :
* 3/4 cup butter.
* 1/4 cup sugar.
* 1 egg.
* 1 tablespoon orange zest.
* 1 3/4 to 2 cups flour.
* 1 tsp vanilla.
* 1 tablespoon cold water.
* pinch of salt.
* 1 cup dried figs chopped to medium sized chunks.
* 1 cup water.
* 1 cup apple or orange juice.
* 1/2 cup crushed walnuts.
* mix and knead dough ingredients till you get a firm soft ball.
* keep wrapped with nylon in the fridge.
* meanwhile boil figs with water and juice then leave to simmer for one hour, figs will sticky and tender.
* may figs till they’re like a paste then add walnuts.
* cool completely.
* on a floured surface roll dough then cut into similar shaped rectangles.
* fill each piece with the filling then close it all over.
* cut to small pieces then line all cookies on a floured pan.
* bake in a medium heated oven for 20-25 minutes or till golden from sides.