Didn’t know what to cook today till late noon,as usual nobody gave an answer,as you wish they all said, I already wanted a no meat or chicken dish so choice was mujadara then I thought why not try to do kushari.
Kushari is a traditional Egyptian dish that you can find in special restaurants or even carts in the road all over Egypt, it’s healthy full of protein,very fulfilling yet light at the same time. It’s made of lentils,rice,chickpeas ( though I forgot them today) ,small pasta with hot tomato sauce and fried onions on top. In some recipes small pasta (شعيريه)is cooked with the rice and lentils or you can do without. This is the first time I cook it,turned out a success,everybody loved it.
I also roasted a pumpkin I have since last week with some garlic,lemon juice,rosemary,salt,pepper,herbs and olive oil.
Ingredients and method:
* 1 cup cooked brown lentils ( a new tip from my sister’s husband to soak it in green tea and cumin before cooking it so as not to reduce stomach bloating) .
* 1 cup rice.
* cooked chickpeas.
* cooked small size pasta, seasoned with salt and pepper.
* hot tomato sauce ( sauteed garlic,onions,1 can chopped tomato,cumin,salt,pepper,dried chili powder) all cooked together till thick.
* fried onions.
* cook rice with lentils as you make mjadara.
* before serving assemble all ingredients together as layers, rice and lentils,chickpeas,pasta,sauce then the onions.