Today’s dessert is a very old traditional one that’s usually done when a baby’s first tooth appears and since my adorable nephew’s new tiny one appeared I made some and distributed a dish to neighbors and friends as the custom says.
Don’t really know why or who’s behind this tradition,guess it’s Lebanese.Main ingredient is pealed wheat soaked and cooked well till tender then you add sugar,spices and nuts for decoration.
Some people make this dish during Winter time after Christmas in a specific day or celebration called Saint Barbara .
Ingredients and method:
* 1 kg of pealed wheat ( قمح مقشور).
* 1 cup sugar.
* 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
* 1 cup raisins.
* 1 tablespoon ground anise.
* 1 tsp ground fennel (optional)
* coconut,sweetened anise seed,candy and nuts (for decorating the top)
* boil the wheat either in a pressure cooker or regular pan till done and water is little and thick.
* add cinnamon,anise,sugar and raisins and leave to boil for another 20-30 minutes on very low heat till all mixture is syrupy and thick.
* pour in small or big dishes as you prefer and garnish with coconuts,candied anise ( قمبز) or any kind of candy or nuts.