Today I made this kind of sweet usually done by Christians in the Levant region on the 5th of December celebrating Saint Barbara feast which is a traditional holy event.
Learned how to do this sweet from our lovely Lebanese neighbor long time ago,she used to make a big dish to each house in the neighborhood may God rest her loving soul. Mom continued to make it throughout the years and I’ve been doing it also,I guess in the memory of the good old days in Jabal Al-Hussein.
Ingredients and method:
* 1 kg of pealed wheat ( قمح مقشور).
* 1 cup sugar.
* 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
* 1 cup raisins.
* 1 tablespoon ground anise.
* 1 tsp ground fennel (optional)
* coconut,sweetened anise seed,candy and nuts (for decorating the top)
* boil the wheat either in a pressure cooker or regular pan till done and water is little and thick.
* add cinnamon,anise,sugar and raisins and leave to boil for another 20-30 minutes on very low heat till all mixture is syrupy and thick.
* pour in small or big dishes as you prefer and garnish with coconuts,candied anise ( قمبز) or any kind of candy or nuts.
Serve hot in this cold weather, yummy yummy.