Happy Easter to all friends celebrating today,though usually it’s supposed to be a Spring warm day this time of year specially on Easter Sunday and today happened to be rainy and cold but I’m sure everybody celebrating felt the warmth and spirit of this Holy day.
I intended to do some ma3mool but unfortunately didn’t have the time ,but today after I finished cooking lunch which was a traditional roasted meat and potato pan done the way my late grandma used to do it, meaning fried potatoes,lots of onions,cooked meat then all slowly cooked together till well stewed, I did these cute honey cakes that Greek people usually bake Easter time.
Old fashioned meat and potatoes roasted pan.
a real comfort food in this weather.
Ingredients and method: ( I did half quantity only)
* 1 cup butter.
* 1 cup light olive oil.
* 1 kilo flour.
* 1 cup sugar.
* 1 tsp cinnamon.
* 1/2 tsp cloves.
* grated peel of a lemon or orange.
* 2 tsp baking powder.
* 1 cup yogurt.
* 1 cup crushed walnuts.
For the syrup:
* 2 cups sugar.
* 3 cups water.
* 1 cup honey.
* juice of one lemon.
* walnuts and cinnamon to sprinkle.
* Put the butter and flour in a big bowl and beat well.
* add oil ,sugar, cinnamon,cloves and peel.
* add soda and yogurt and knead well.
* add walnuts .
* make small balls then roll them over the grater to get a nice shape.
* bake in a medium heated oven till golden from bottom and surface.
* meanwhile make the syrup by boiling sugar and water for 10 minutes then adding the honey and lemon and boil further more till it’s thick.
* when cakes are done and cooled dip them in syrup then sprinkle with cinnamon and crushed walnuts.
Really yummy in this all Winter cold wet day!!