Have some extra cabbage leaves so today I bought a pack of spring roll sheets or thin dough so as to stuff them.
Result was perfect, boys loved them, crispy and so fresh.I also made sweet and sour sauce to go along with them.
Ingredients of stuffing and sauce:
* 3 carrots.
* one spring onion.
* shredded cabbage leaves (2-3 cups)
* sesame or vegetable oil.
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce.
* 1 tsp fresh grated ginger.
* spring rolls sheets.
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in water to close the rolls.
* saute onions, thinly shredded carrots and cabbages till tender.
* add ginger and soy sauce, leave to simmer till all liquid dries.
* when totally cooled stuff in roll and close with a bit of cornstarch mixture.
* deep fry till crispy and golden.
Serve with sweet and sour sauce which is a mixture of:
* 3 tablespoons soy sauce.
* 3 tablespoons ketchup.
* 1 tablespoon sugar.
* 1 tablespoon vinegar.
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
Mix all ingredients together then heat till thick and creamy.
A soup is a must in this weather,was about to make lentils but then it’ll be heavy with yesterday’s cabbage leftovers.
So I decided to make carrot soup instead.Came across this recipe while looking for a new or different version from the one I usually make, really yummy and full of flavors.
Must say that garnish must be yogurt and fresh coriander but I used oregano instead cause I don’t have it.
Ingredients and method :
* 2 tablespoons butter.
* 1 small finely chopped onion.
* 2 cloves garlic.
* 2 cups chopped carrots (4-5 big ones)
* 1 tsp fresh grated ginger.
* 1 tsp all spice.
*1 tsp cumin.
* 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth.
*salt and pepper.
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
* 1 tsp honey.
* 1/2 cup yogurt.
* fresh chopped coriander.
* saute onions, garlic in hot butter till tender.
* add carrots, ginger and all spice.
* add stock and leave to simmer till carrots are tender.
* spin all together with hand mixer or blender till you get a smooth creamy texture.
* add lemon juice and honey.
* season with salt and pepper as preferred.
* leave to simmer for another 20 minutes.
* garnish with yoghurt and coriander upon serving.
I’m pretty sure most people are fasting today so it’s a late lunch or Iftar.
We’re all gathered so it’s a kind of big dinner.
Menu was a new chicken recipe I took from our dear family friend Osama, really easy and yummy,plus pesto pasta, potatoes with cream,red or rice with tomato paste.
Ingredients and method of chicken :
# whole chicken with skin on.
#1 clove garlic.
# juice of a lemon.
# salt, pepper, cumin, all spice, tandoori spices.
# olive oil.
#Cut all veggies to big shunks.
# Season chicken and veggies with all spices,lemon and olive oil.
# In a deep oven pan arrange chicken and veggies around it.
# heat the oven from upper section then roast chicken and veggies till golden or brownish.(الشوايه من فوق)
# cover all with foil paper then leave in oven for one hour or more till done and sauce is thick.
You can feel Autumn coming today,cloudy with a nice nice breeze,nice after all these heat waves.
Made some lentil soup on the occasion with a bit of carrots and pumpkin, very good specially with lemon juice.
Here’s the basic lentil soup recipe.
*1 cup lentils.
*1 small finely chopped onion.
*1 sliced carrot.
*1 sliced courgette (كوسا ).optional.
* 1 cube chicken stock.
*1 spoon salt.
*1 spoon powdered cumin.
*6 cups hot water.
Sautee the onions, carrots, courgettes in a bit if olive oil till tender.wash then add lentils.stirr well then add salt, cumin, chicken stock.add water and leave to boil then simmer.
serve with fried or baked bread cubes and lemon juice.
What a relief when your kids ask for a specific dish, wow big burden is off your shoulders.
My son requested chicken curry for his friends last night so I made a big pan to take over for them, I just feel so happy to feed a bunch of boys whose parents are away.
Well mission done and all packed to go with some chocolate pudding from yesterday as well.
ingredients and method:
* 1 cubed boneless chicken.
* cubed carrots, potatoes, chopped peppers and sliced mushrooms.
* 1 chopped onion and 2 cloves garlic.
* 1 tablespoon cornflour dissolved in 1 cup of milk OR coconut milk.
* chicken broth or water with 1 cube maggi ( 5-6 cups).
* salt, pepper, all spice and 2 big spoons curry powder.
* marinate chicken in some of spices and curry for 1/2 hour.
* heat some oil and saute chicken till tender.
* add onions and garlic.
* add potatoes, carrots and peas, mix all till a bit done.
* add rest of spices.
* add peppers and mushrooms.
* add milk and cornflour.
* add broth or water, boil and simmer for 40-50 minutes.
* serve with plain white rice.
Tried this recipe that’s been popping in front of me whenever I open Pinterest and since my husband and son are on diet cause of stomach flu plus I have these lovely zucchinis from the farm.
A lovely zucchini carrot pie,crust is salty pie dough and filling is same as asparagus pie but I omitted the egg then you line up thin slices of veggies consequently till you get a nice shape and bake.
ingredients and method:
For the crust:
* 1 egg, beaten.
* 1 tsp salt.
* 3/4 cup butter.
* 1 1/2 cup flour.
* 2 big spoons cold water.
* 2 tablespoons labaneh or sour cream.
* 1 tsp mustard.
* 1 egg ( I added 2 tablespoons yogurt instead today)
* 1/2 cup grated cheese ( any kind that melts or Parmesan)
* salt and pepper.
* oregano to sprinkle on top.
* thinly sliced zucchinis and carrots.
* knead dough and leave to rest for 30 minutes then spread in a pie pan.
* mix filling very well then spread over pie crust.
* line the veggie slices consequently till all covered then sprinkle oregano on top.
* cover with foil then bake in a medium heated oven for 30-40 minutes or till veggies are done ( you can boil carrots a bit before lining them cause they stayed hard a bit)
* roast surface till crispy and serve when cooled a bit.
I also made pasta with yogurt garlic and mint and potato soup.
Home all day cleaning and putting away carpets and heavy clothes, an annual ritual!
Even the kitchen had it’s turn, arranging fridge and freezer , I don’t like keeping frozen food for long periods always try to use it specially if fresh veggies are in season, so today took out some green thyme and made za’tar sticks, some pieces of puff pastry stuffed them with spiced rice, peas,carrots and meat plus some poppy seeds and made orange cake with seeds in.
Too much work but all yummy and needed as snacks for my son studying for his finals.
No cooking today, each one has plans either for lunch or dinner so no cooking is necessary, did a bowl of Russian Salad it will do just fine in guess.
Spent this morning cleaning and preparing some fresh peas and fava beans for freezing, my husband bought some from side road sellers on his way back from Irbid yesterday, very fresh and green, I usually only cut wash and freeze directly.
Peas were really sweet and tender, boiled some and added them with carrots, corn and potatoes to the salad.
ready for storage.
Another Irbid product is garden cress( رشاد) sent to me from my cousin, very tasty with labaneh and green olives or onions, all yummy.
I bet you’ll be dieting after the holidays, a few pounds extra are inevitable in these occasions. One can always sart a diet when done and enjoy this week as mush as possible after all you only live once.
This soup is awesome for this purpose,healthy and fulfilling plus it contains lots of fiber for those with bowel problems and of course everybody knows that oats are super cholesterol reducing kind of food.
Lunch today is Kabseh with meat not chicken and a salad.
I also made another batch of cream cheese with added garlic and herbs to half the amount:)
Ingredients and method:
* 2 cups oatmeal.
* 1 small chopped onion.
* 2 cloves chopped garlic.
* some grated carrots.
* some chopped celery.
* 1/2 cup milk.
* 1 cube Maggi or 4 cups chicken broth.
* some cheddar cheese.
* lemon juice,salt and pepper.
* saute onions,garlic and celery in some oil or butter.