Have some extra cabbage leaves so today I bought a pack of spring roll sheets or thin dough so as to stuff them.
Result was perfect, boys loved them, crispy and so fresh.I also made sweet and sour sauce to go along with them.
Ingredients of stuffing and sauce:
* 3 carrots.
* one spring onion.
* shredded cabbage leaves (2-3 cups)
* sesame or vegetable oil.
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce.
* 1 tsp fresh grated ginger.
* spring rolls sheets.
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in water to close the rolls.
* saute onions, thinly shredded carrots and cabbages till tender.
* add ginger and soy sauce, leave to simmer till all liquid dries.
* when totally cooled stuff in roll and close with a bit of cornstarch mixture.
* deep fry till crispy and golden.
Serve with sweet and sour sauce which is a mixture of:
* 3 tablespoons soy sauce.
* 3 tablespoons ketchup.
* 1 tablespoon sugar.
* 1 tablespoon vinegar.
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
Mix all ingredients together then heat till thick and creamy.
Stuffed two big cabbages for lunch today and hopefully tomorrow.
This time I tried this sauce I always wanted to do from my Greek cookbook but hesitate cause it contains too much eggs in it, I’m not a big fan by the way.
Well today I took the venture but omitted the eggs, recipe has flour to thicken the sauce so I guessed it’ll be enough and result was amazing, really yummy.
Ingredients and method :
*1 tablespoon butter.
* 1 tablespoon flour.
* 1 1/2 cup broth from cooked cabbages.
* 2 tsp lemon juice.
* salt and pepper to taste.
* heat butter well then add flour and wisk till it’s golden.
* add broth gradually and keep on whisking till you have a thick creamy sauce.
* add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
* serve over cabbages when done.
It’s cold and rainy today, cooking plan is just perfect for this weather which is stuffed cabbages.
Just remembered that I made a video last winter of how to stuff and cook them,will repost it below.
how to stuff cabbages
how to cook cabbages
You should do it this week since it’ll be raining for few more days.
* minced meat.
* ghee and vegetable oil.
* salt, pepper, all spices, dried mint.
* cabbage, boiled and stems removed.
* garlic as much as you like.
* lemon juice.
* Wash the rice then add the meat. I usually cook it before a bit.
* add spices, salt, mint.
* stuff the cabbages and line them with garlic in between.
* add lemon juice, a bit of oil and enough water to cover all cabbage. I have this heavy pottery lid I use as weight or you can put a heavy plate.
* cook for 10 minutes over high heat then lower it and cook it for another hour or till rice inside is done.