Today’s lunch is a very traditional dish,Mediterranean and specifically Palestinian to be exact, it’s very common in big lunch or dinner invitations, usually done in olive harvest and oil production season,when it’s still fresh.
To be honest I’m not an expert in doing it, not a dish that I do often, my late grandma used to do it a lot,my mom now also,so I usually go to Mom’s eat it !! but today I did it upon my youngest son request,so msakhan it is.
Ingredients and media:
* whole chicken.
* 4-5 big onions.
* special taboun bread (خبز طابون)
* olive oil.
* spices used in chicken cooking like cinnamon sticks,cardamom,pepper corns,bay leaf and salt and pepper definitely.
* clean and rub chicken with lemon,salt and cinnamon then cook it with all spices and boiled water till tender.
* chop onions finely then cook them in a generous amount of olive oil ( actually I do use vegetable oil with the olive to lighten it a bit,this is optional of course).
* when onions are done add summaq and a bit of chicken broth and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
* before serving,cut bread to halves or quarters then dip the ends in onion mix and arrange on a wide oven tray next to each other.
* add onions on each peace of bread,try not to add too much oil with it.
*sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
* add another layer of bread then spread chicken pieces on top, I dip each peace with remaining oil onion mix.
* sprinle all with summaq and some of the chicken broth then bake for 20-30 minutes and roast chicken at the end.
*always serve it with rich fresh yogurt !
I know many people may do it in a different way or better way let’s say,but it was very tasty and everybody loved it