No cooking today,I still have lots from yesterday,plus I went out with my friends for breakfast to a kind of new place in town Shakespeare & co. really pleasant place,beautiful decor, tasty food and excellent service I might say
This doesn’t mean no work,my mother in law’s school friends are coming tomorrow morning so I made apple pie and za’tar sticks but as round pastries this time, will be great with a cheese platter and Tabouleh.
You may find various apple pie recipes all over,I usually make this one which is easy and always work.
Ingredients and method of apple pie:
* 1 egg.
* 1 tsp vanilla or lemon zest.
* 1/2 cup sugar.
* 3/4 cup butter.
* 1 3/4 cups flour ( you may need 1/4 more to make a firm dough)
* pinch of salt.
* 2 tablespoons cold water.
* 5-6 large apples peeled and cut to slices.
* 1/2 cup walnuts (optional).
* 1/4 cup raisins (optional).
* 1/4 cup brown sugar.
* 1 tsp lemon juice .
* 1 tablespoon cinnamon ( sorry forgot to add it in the photo)
* beat the egg.vanilla,sugar and butter till creamy.
* add flour and salt and knead well till you have a firm round dough ( add more flour if it’s sticky and you can’t handle it)
* leave to cool in the fridge for 30 minutes.
* spread 3/4 dough in pie pan evenly in bottom and sides.
* pinch it with a fork so as it won’t form a bubble.
* mix filling ingredients well and pour them into the pie pan.
* make shapes to decorate top of pie from remaining dough ,sprinkle surface with flour or use plastic bag for easier handling.
* bake in a medium heated oven for 30-40 minutes or till sides and bottom are golden then toast the surface.
You can reheat it and serve it with vanilla ice cream or as is with a sprinkle of icing sugar,depends on how the lovely ladies prefer tomorrow .