A last goodbye treat for my friend and her lovely kids before heading back home, cooked lentils with pasta,fried onions,garlic and coriander . A traditional Syrian dish حراق اصبعه meaning when translated literally ” burned fingers”
An easy nutritious appetizer that’s originally done with lentils and special dough or small pasta as a quicker substitute then all boiled together with pomegranate sauce,lemons,fried onions,garlic and coriander topped with fried bread pieces.
Ingredients and method:
* 1 cup brown lentils.
* 2-3 cloves garlic
* 3-4 onions.
* bunch of coriander.
* 1/2 cup lemon juice.
* 2 spoons pomegranate sauce ( دبس رمان ).
* 1 cup small size pasta.
* cubed fried pitta bread.
* salt, pepper, cumin powder.
* wash lentils then boil in 4 cups of water , add salt and 1 spoon cumin.
* add the pasta and leave to simmer till done.
* add lemon juice, pomegranate sauce.
* fry the onions in oil till golden.
* crush garlic and chop coriander then saute them in some oil.
* add half the amount of onions and garlic to lentil pasta mixture. Leave to simmer till it thickens and homogeneous. You might need to add some water.
* upon serving,, in a deep dish put some of the bread in the bottom.
*add the lentil mixture.
* decorate with the rest of garlic, onions and bread cubes.
* serve hot.