Today’s lunch is Greek ♡♥.
Mom gave me some fresh eggplants looks really good, moussaka was the choice, first thing I wanted to do them as we normally cook it..I mean arabic version of it (منزله باذنجان ) but then changed my mind, white sauce in moussaka gives it a delicious twist, plus Greek moussaka reminds me of beautiful picturesque small village in Cyprus mountains where I ate it the first time..It was really really good.
Ingredients and method:
* 1 cup cooked minced veal.
* 2-3 large eggplants.
* 2-3 potatoes. (Optional).
* thinly sliced green peppers (optional).
* 1 small onion finely chopped.
* 1 clove garlic.
* 1 big ripe tomato. Peeled and chopped.
*1 spoon tomato paste.
* 2-3 cups white sauce (bechamel).
* mozzarella cheese for topping.
* saute onion, garlic with meat till tender then add chopped tomato and paste, season with salt and pepper and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
* cut eggplants and potatoes to circles, sprinkle with salt and leave for 15 minutes to drain.
* deep fry them in oil till golden.
* set on kitchen towel till extra oil is out.
* layer potatoes , half of eggplants and green peppers in a deep oven pan.
* add meat tomato sauce.
* layer the other half of eggplants.
* pour all white sauce in top.
* cook in the oven in low heat for 30-40 minutes then sprinkle grated cheeese on top and roast.
* serve hot with Greek salad .