Sorry for the absence the last couple of days, too busy and no new recipes done but today after I finished an order of Egyptian cookies and had some dates left extra so I thought I’d makes these super easy cookie recipe for you , Iraqi date cookies which is known as Kleijja (كليجه)
I’m sure this is not the only recipe cause it’s a traditional dessert so each lady will add her touch to it, took this one from a beautiful auntie cause it’s very basic,light and easy to do.
Ingredients and method:
- 3 cups flour ( 3 كوب طحين)
- 1 cup vegetable oil ( كوب زيت نباتي)
- tsp baking powder ( ملعقه صغيره باكينغ باودر)
- pinch of salt (رشه ملح)
- 3/4 or 1 cup water. ( كوب او اقل ماء)
- pitted dates.( I added a bit of cardamon and nutmeg)
- Mix flour , salt,baking powder very well ( some prefer to use a sieve so as mixing will be better).
- add oil and rub it with flour till crumbly.
- add water and knead well till you get a smooth easy to handle dough.
- add some oil to the dates for easier handling, original recipe requires heating dates with some oil till it softens but I skipped this step
- form same size small balls of dough and dates then fill dough with date and close well.
- flatten cookies a bit then cut a bit on sides with knife or scissors.
- heat the oven then lower it to medium and bake cookies for 15-20 minutes or till bottoms are golden.
- brush the surface with a bit of egg wash and roast till golden as well .
End result looked and tasted very good, test will be tomorrow from the experts at lunch !